New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4 Un-Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Keiko
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  04:16:10  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Re: Global for translation in Egypt
Hello, I am a new member since last week.
My first topic is unfortunately about a fraudulent translation company in Egypt "Gloval for translation". This agency is found on the first page of your Agency Research. About a month ago(I wasn't a paid member yet), I received a job notification from you and found that I could apply for the job for free(without a full membership). Then I applied for it and was immediately assigned to the job. The payment term was 10 days after the invoice. The job had 12600 words "to be delivered in 3 days". Obviously I worked very hard on it. Even after the date of invoice, they asked me to translate some more lines and I've just done it for them for free. Well, since then I've had NO news from them although I send numerous e-mails to them. I think I was swindled by them. They owe me 630 EUR. I strongly encourage all of you NOT TO WORK FOR THEM. Does some have any ideas to recuperate my money...? Do I have to just forget it...? Many thanks in advance for your advise.

lingonova
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  04:44:09  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am sorry to hear that. Now many companies delayed or even refused the charges for translation.
We also met the same matters. We have cheated by three companies in the same country.
Have you called for them? If they did not answer your call, maybe you can not get back your money any more.
This is why we ask for 50% prepayment for the first project between the new customers.
Maybe what you can do is to make an entry to their profiles in Proz and let all of the translators can see your comments to aviod anyone to be cheated again.

Go to Top of Page

Keiko
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:23:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Lingonova.
Thanks for your advise. I called them but could not get through. They gave me a fake tel.number, I suppose. I've had another unfortunate experience with an agency in India called "Adith Multilingual Services". I've learned 'now' that this is a notorious non paying agency on the market and they were already banned to post jobs by Prozcom a while ago. I also found on Black & White List at GoTranslators that there were at least 15 translators who haven't get paid by them. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. I think we really have to check the company profile before accepting jobs. Well, I'd like to suggest to TranslatorPub to publish outsourcers' reputation, something like Blueboard or Hall of Fame & Shame in other sites. It would surely help to avoid a victim like me... What would you think ??

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:44:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Keiko,
I'm sorry for your experience. I think this is exactly why an outsourcers blueboard should be created here, so translators can rate and view the company's (non)payment practices.
Some rules of thumb:
1. Check the company profile on other sites. If you cannot find it there, don't accept the job. There's high probability the company has been banned from the site for its fraudulent behaviour.
2. Never accept a job from companies registered in countries too distant from your place. I apply the following rule: if I can't get to the agency's country at one third the job value, I never accept the job. The farthest distance I am willing to travel from the Czech Republic to collect my money personally is the UK/France. I will only accept a job from e.g. an American agency if I can see they have a great rating on other sites.
3. Never accept a job from companies registered in countries you might have any difficulties to get to (e.g. it is difficult to obtain the visa etc.). That's why I never accept jobs from Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Egyptian, Nigerian (most of these Nigerians are scammers anyway) etc. outsourcers.
4. Never accept checks. Only accept wire transfer or online payment (PayPal, Moneybookers, whatever is more convenient for you). They may send you a check that may become void long before it reaches you. They will claim afterwards to have paid you in full by sending you a check. Very dangerous; learnt my lesson myself with an American guy in the past. Fortunately, it was only $60.
5. If the agency PM contacts you from a public e-mail domain (such as Yahoo or Gmail), don't even bother to reply. Most likely you would be dealing with a scammer who is not worth your time.

BTW, if they wanted you to translate 12,600 words in three days, all your senses should be on "red alert". A reliable agency will almost never ask you to complete a five-days work within three days.

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/04/2009 16:19:08
Go to Top of Page

Keiko
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  12:04:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Well, it was a good lesson... Many thanks for your tips which are very helpful !!
I mostly worked for regular clients and was never swindled before though...
By the way, I am not quite sure if most of Japanese agencies/agents are scammers as you mentioned. As my rule of thumb, they are most demanding people for the quality of job, but most correct people for the payment paractice. (I am a native Japanese :0)

Go to Top of Page

MHA123

50 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  12:25:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Keiko - hope you are doing fine. I`m sorry you had a bad experience with global4translators. I have been working for them as well, but always received my payments (sometimes a little late though).

Just drop them a line and ask them what the problem is. I know that sometimes it´s just a matter of running short of funds during these days. Maybe you´ll agree to a partial payment. I know this is not what would be ideal in this situation, but it is better than losing all your money.

I know they are a good agency, though a little slow.

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  16:18:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Keiko,
the "scammers" notion was about the Nigerian "agencies". Definitely not about the Japanese ones. I deeply apologize for having expressed myself ambigouously. I will correct my post immediately. Handshake?

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/04/2009 16:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  16:25:48  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
I know that sometimes it´s just a matter of running short of funds during these days. Maybe you´ll agree to a partial payment.

Sorry, I don't want to sound arrogant, but are you serious? They ordered the translation, they have to pay. In time and in full. Period. Will they sell you a loaf of bread at half the usual price, just because you're hungry and "running short of funds"? Keiko deserves full payment, no question.

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/04/2009 16:31:23
Go to Top of Page

Keiko
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:18:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Stanislav
No worries about the "scammers" thing. I understood wrong!
But what MHA123 has said is just mysterious for me. I sent them hundres of e-mails to ask why the payment was late. I simply don't understand why they don't even want to reply to my e-mails, just keep silence...

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Keiko,
perhaps MHA123 could try to write or call them himself/herself. Or you could hire an Egyptian debt collecting agency. But I'm afraid none of them will even bother for "just" €630. :(

Go to Top of Page

MHA123

50 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  03:54:33  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hallo Stanislav, from my experience (am working for some major industry players), they are currently all delaying the payments. This refers especially towards the automotive industry.... Sure Keiko, if you´ll give me some more details, I´m happy to drop them a line on your behalf. I can also recommend you a company that could make some pressure on them if everything else fails. But before doing so, I need to know if there have been any complaints....sorry for asking, but this is usually number one reason for not paying...

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  04:17:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Sure Keiko, if you´ll give me some more details, I´m happy to drop them a line on your behalf. I can also recommend you a company that could make some pressure on them if everything else fails.

Hi MHA123, I believe that would be perfect.
quote:
But before doing so, I need to know if there have been any complaints....sorry for asking, but this is usually number one reason for not paying...

Understood, that's an important question indeed.
As for delaying payments, I haven't experienced any increase. And I'm working for some of the "big playaz" too. Well, one of them approached me with a question like: "There's this financial crisis, so could you please drop your rates? We could then have more jobs for you." My reply: "No, I will keep my rates right where they are. Firstly, your margin per 1,000 words is still more than €100; secondly, I have plenty of other clients." They keep sending me jobs anyway.

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/05/2009 04:21:57
Go to Top of Page

Keiko
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  04:51:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi MHA123 & Stanislav
Many thanks for your kind advise.
I do understand the economoy is sluggish today and wouldn't mind to wait for the payment. I haven't received any complaints from them and was asked to do another job about 10 days after the first job. MHA123, it would be very kind of you if you could just drop them a line for me. I'll e-mail you with details later. Thanks a million !

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  15:55:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Keiko wrote: I do understand the economoy is sluggish today and wouldn't mind to wait for the payment.

Hi Keiko,
yes, that would be a reasonable and indeed a generous approach, had the payment terms and conditions been negotiated in advance. To give an example, I work for a major translation agency on Scania, Ford and Toyota projects. My invoices for this agency are always due within 60 (yes, no typo: it's sixty) days. But this has been negotiated at the very beginning. Fair enough.
In the case the Egyptian agency has run into difficulties because their direct client is not paying to them, it's their own problem. Their client, their problem. And they have to pay their vendors, regardless of whether they are paid themselves or not. And I repeat: pay in time, and in full.
One more piece of advice: I don't know how it works in Egypt, but here in the Czech Republic, if you accept installments and the client pays one or two of them, you are very likely to lose any court disputes, because the debtor "has shown good intentions to pay his debt" by paying one or two installments. So maybe it isn't really advisable to accept this kind of payment.

Edited by - Stanislav_Pokorny on 03/05/2009 15:57:46
Go to Top of Page

Keiko
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  16:53:46  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks a million for your kind advice !

Go to Top of Page

Stanislav_Pokorny

71 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  16:55:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
No problem; :) The community members should help each other. That's the reason for communities to exist. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic   Un-Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TranslatorPub.Com © 2006 - 2015 Translatorpub.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
Site Language:

Site Sponsor
Try the new User Interface
http://beta.translatorpub.com

Fundraiser
Fundraiser

TranslatorPub- Shop

TranslatorPub+ Beta
Site Sponsor

More Information...

Social Media

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

© TranslatorPub.com 2006 - 2024. All Rights Reserved.

Mail comments and suggestions to info@translatorpub.com | Privacy Policy | Sitemap